Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Introductions

Welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by to check out the blog. The purpose of this blog is to give parents a resource for a simple at-home preschool. Before I jump into the details of how I set up our at home preschool (I'll put it all in another post) I wanted to give some background about me and our situation. 

I graduated from Brigham Young University in 2012 with a degree in elementary education. I taught school for 3 years before I had my first baby. Between my student teaching experiences and positions as a full time educator I was able to teach in grades 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6. For the past 10 months I have been teaching the Sunbeams (3 and 4 year olds) at church on Sunday too. All in all, it may not be the most impressive resume but I hope that its enough to instill some confidence that I know what I'm talking about a little bit.

There are a few reasons I decided to start "school" with my little guy. The first reason is that he (I'll refer to his as "B") is a very bright little boy. I am constantly amazed by how much he remembers and by his vocabulary. I felt like teaching him some academic stuff formally wouldn't be too difficult for him. Second, because he's so bright I don't feel like he'll need two years of preschool before he starts kindergarten. B turned 3 in March, so technically he could have started preschool this year. But we moved this summer and I had a lot on my mind, and researching preschools was pretty low on the list of priorities especially since I'm not worried about his development. Third, I love having a project and I miss teaching. While this is a VERY scaled back version of teaching I love that I get to interact with a "student" and see B's excitement as he learns new things. Fourth, having part of our day set aside for learning is a great break from the other stuff B spends his time doing. I love that its part of the day when I don't have to listen to Daniel Tiger on TV, the sound of cars crashing on my dining room tile, or worry about what he did to make baby brother (I'll refer to him as "A") cry.

So there's the "why" of this at-home pre-preschool I decided to start for B. The plan for the rest of the blog is to show you how I prepped for school, and what we do every day/week. My hope is that even if you don't use all of my ideas you will find something to help your little learn. There is nothing more satisfying than watching your child grow and understand the world around them.



*Please remember that I am catering specifically to B and our life as it is right now. If you have comments or questions I'd love to hear them and respond, but keep it kind. We're all just trying to do our best. And remember that no matter what you do, your child will love you and think you're amazing just because you're their parent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment